Sunday 4 December 2011

REVIEW: Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge (Cabo Coral)

I couldn't resist picking this up as I walked past the Bobbi Brown counter in Harvey Nichols in the Landmark mall, which now has a twinkling Christmas tree in the lobby.



I know that it's winter and TECHNICALLY I should be wearing a rosy mulled wine stain on my cheeks but I was getting bored of my sensible "winter" powder blushes and decided to embrace the warm weather in Hong Kong (it was 25 celsius when I arrived) with a new coral cream blush.

Also, I love coral blushes :) MAC Peaches is my current favourite powder blush.

---------------------------------------------

Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Lips and Cheeks in Cabo Coral

PRODUCT

This is a hardened cream product that softens up with a quick swirl of a fingertip. In terms of texture, it is less sticky and gooey than the Stila Convertible Colors (love these though), more creamy than the Topshop Cream Blushes and gives a more dewy finish than the MAC Cremeblend Blushes.

Cabo Coral is a very peachy coral with much less pink in it than its sister Pot Rouge, Calypso Coral. I would go as far to say that this looks and applies like a sheer pastel orange, whereas Calypso Coral is a peachy pink which leans towards the pink spectrum.

As the name suggests, it is designed for use on both cheeks and lips for anything from subtle stain to a full-on flush. You get 11ml of product which I think is fairly generous as you need the smallest amount for great colour payoff - I don't think I'll be needing to repurchase this for years!

I paid HK$210 for this product.





APPLICATION

(a) CHEEKS

The lip balm style pot begs for a fingertip application but I have found that this applies best on CHEEKS with a regular foundation brush (i.e. the MAC 190 shape). I gently stroke the product with the brush and apply it to the whole cheek for a brightening kiss of coral on my cheeks. It is comparable to NARS Turks & Caicos Multiple Tint, but is less of a orange jelly tint and more of a sheer peach yoghurt flush.

Mmm peach yoghurt.

(b) LIPS

Contrary to my cheek method, I use my fingertips to apply this to the lips. Instead of swiping it on, I find that applying a bit of lip balm before pressing the colour onto my lips with the pad of my finger works best, otherwise it can be quite drying.

The colour on my lips is similar to MAC's Ravishing lipstick but is more of a pastel peachy orange. It is also similar to MAC's Freckletone lipstick but again is a bit more pastel and peachy.



Worn on both cheeks and lips:


VERDICT

This is a lovely cream blush in a sleek container that contains a generous amount of product. It definitely satisfied my craving for a true peachy-orange blush as there are hardly any pink, brown or rose tones in this!

Although this could be built up into a truly tropical colour, I enjoy wearing it as a sheer flush of product across my whole cheek. It is a bit drying on the lips but is a cheerful pastel peach colour which works great with a bit of lipbalm.

Staying power on my cheeks is excellent - I had class from 9am-5pm today and the colour was still there when I got home and I still looked healthy and glowing. I think this would look GORGEOUS on tanned skin but I like how it looks on my NC20-25 skin too.

------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions then please feel free to leave me a message in the comments :)

Do you have a favourite cream blush?

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I swear by ELF cream blushes,
    but this looks lovely and subtle! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing all your opinions :)